|Meerkat - 2015-01-28 |
He said that last sentence like there was something bad about it.
|Old_Zircon - 2015-01-28 |
Jarts were pretty fun.
John Holmes Motherfucker
I played with Jarts at least once, they belonged to a cousin or something. They were around for a surprisingly long time, considering what they were. That tip was heavy! That thing could have gone right through someone's skull. Also had the thingmaker. I don't remember any fumes, but I know I got burned once or twice.
Now I'm jealous of Bort. Not only did he get dangerous toys, but he had a superhero as both parents.
Learn with the Creepy Crawler Maker, burn with the Creepy Crawler Maker.
The ping pong ball gun is small potatoes compared to the homemade toy guns my dad and uncles used to make back in the 50s. Same basic principle except you loaded them with firecrackers and they shot marbles. At each other.
Personally I only ever played with jarts once or twice, we never owned them because they were too dangerous. Which is ironic because my parents were totally OK with me making shoddy DIY fireworks back in 5th grade as long as I didn't shot them alone.
Never once even came close to getting hurt, either.
|SolRo - 2015-01-28 |
I had the 90s creepy crawlers toy, the fumes harm me did no.
|SteamPoweredKleenex - 2015-01-28 |
I thought the Aqua Dots weren't just any sedative, but a close relative to Roofies.
Wouldn't have been a big deal if it was a relative to Nyquil or something.
|baleen - 2015-01-28 |
My dad won one of those Gilbert sets (or some other product with uranium) when he was on the Howdy Doody Show for some kid smarty contest.
|yogarfield - 2015-01-28 |
The clacker was only dangerous because it was the most annoying fucking thing ever made, easily driving the sanest parent into a fit of smashing and trashing on Christmas morning.
It's easy to imagine that toy never broke on its own.
I swear one of those was actually a set of ben-wa balls
Some unknown entity gave a pair of these to Oscar back in college daze. I would wait until everyone at one of our dormroom parties was sufficiently ripped, then whip out the toy and announce "watch this!" and bang the fuckers together. Invariably, the most inebriated reveller would be drawn like a moth the flame. Then the real fun would begin.
|Cube - 2015-01-29 |
I think they just took whatever pictures they thought fit the narration and put them on the video. Angry Birds was published in 2009, so it's a bit odd they use Angry Birds bracelets when talking about a 1990s toy.
In the magnets story, I don't think a bunch of magnets would arrange themselves into a pearl necklace inside the body when swallowed.
Those modern spherical " buckyballs" ones would, but it seems like they conflated those with an older toy.
They also said "digested" when they clearly meant "ingested", so I don't think they were trying too hard to get things right.
|EvilHomer - 2015-01-29 |
The tone of this video is awfully deferential towards the reactionary point of view. The flame gun was pretty cool, but the rest of it comes off as Liebermanesque apologia for the 9/11 cult of paranoia and fear. THE TOY COMES WITH URANIUM! not enough uranium to actually cause any health problems BUT WHAT IF YOUR CHILD BOUGHT LIKE A MILLION KITS AND THEN MASHED THEM TOGETHER TO MAKE AN ATOMIC BOMB?
I know you're stupid and/or play a stupid troll on PoETV, but uranium ore is dangerous around kids because they could swallow it. Swallowing radioactive things is much worse for your health than external contact, even for long periods.
What, you didn't have a carbide cannon when you were kids?
Oscar looked far and wide for that Gilbert set, but the only thing he came up with was the spinthariscope part. Whatever isotope they used had decayed, so not much to be seen peering into it. It was lost in the great lab fire of '80.
The cult of paranoia an fear was alive and well long before 9/11. 9/11 just gave it back some of the focus it has lost since the USSR fell, people got used to AIDS and the massive national crack epidemic never actually happened.
Toys are harmful when swallowed! Egads, what a revelation!!! Look, SolRo, maybe you don't understand the concept of "kids", but swallowing parts of toys is a legitimate problem... for babies. This is because babies are naturally inclined to stick objects in their mouths. Harmless Awesome Uranium Science Toy is clearly not intended for babies. If your kid is old enough to play with a science set and is still swallowing his toys, then the problem doesn't lie with the toy. The problem lies with the kid.
OZ - good point!
You know who didn't let their kids have fun toys...?
Radioactive things like bananas and lima beans
|Mr. Purple Cat Esq. - 2015-01-29 |
This is all bullshit (except for the one containing uranium, you really dont want to be releasing that into the environment)
When I was a kid we would spend a lot of our time building all sorts of improvised weapons. My Dad and his father and brother would have fun with homemade explosives and whatnot.
I recently read 'The World Until Yesterday' by Jared Diamond where he cites many examples of childrearing by groups of hunter gatherer and stone tool using people who live in a way more like that in the evolutionary environment. In these societies its very common to treat children as individuals who must be responsible for themselves and they are allowed to play with knives or near fire, even walk to another village if they feel like it. In addition to lots of other factors (for example multi-age and multi0sex play groups) the youths of these societies are noted to be extremely, mature, responsible and intellectually advanced compared to westerners.
So I suppose that all these pre-made (as opposed to ones you make youself) ultra-safe toys (in addition to other factors) are stunting our mental growth. Is it any wonder we act so irresponsibly as adults in the business world or by destroying our environment without caution?
Who cares about uranium? It comes from the environment, in many many kinds of rocks all around you. You can buy nice samples from a host of websites, its not illegal and its not dangerous if you don't eat it or keep it under your pillow.
| Register or login To Post a Comment|