DO NOT TAUNT A LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERY
|Jet Bin Fever |
I know a guy who works in a lab strapping like thirty of these things together, and supposedly explosions are common.
We were doing emissions test on a PDA in the lab downstairs and we left it overnight, which was a pretty dumb thing to do, all things considered. We came in the next morning and the thing was just a melted wad of plastic and the inside of the chamber was all black. The smoke detectors didn't go off until we opened the chamber.
But yeah, a post-mortem analysis indicated the battery charger circuit had failed and the battery combusted in a spectacular way.
|Jet Bin Fever |
Actually, is it too late to retract a star for that tags? Crap...
I would like to know the conditions by which he overcharges the battery. I imagine "overcharging" a AAA by connecting it to a wall socket would end poorly as well.
As far as I know, these batteries are perfectly safe under the prescribed operating conditions; I assume this is why they dominate the consumer electronic world.
Now a car battery, essentially a giant reservoir of sulfuric acid with the potential to spill all over an inept hamfisted ass. That's a dangerous battery.
Lithium batteries are actually quite explosive. Charging them outside of their designed specifications causes the lithium ion to convert into solid lithium, which readily combusts to form lithium oxide. They're also under a good deal of pressure, especially laptop batteries.
Anyway, it's not that big an issue really.
I am not sure what your counter argument is. You say no then state that when used improperly (AKA not the prescribed operating conditions) they can combust.
Also your statement that they are under pressure does not make any sense. Liquids are not compressible and therefore would not be pressurized unless the device were already overheating and breaking down the electrolyte.
I was really hoping he would switch to the fast-talking low voice and go "This message was paid for by the council for lithium ion"
|Robert DeNegro |
Isn't this from those bogus hack idiots?
|Goethe and ernie |
Minus a star for the batteries not exploding in the toys. That would've been rad.
exploding vibrator batteries
LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERIES WILL FUCKING CUT YOU WIDE OPEN
"Colonel, terrorists are using a remote laptop to aim the Hubble at the earth, using it to magnify the sun and kill Jesus!"
"Activate the Lithium Polymer Device."
"But... the people..."
"DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT!?"
Fear mongering. If this was such a huge problem it would be all over the place, hard to find a modern gadget without this type of battery. Yes there were some incidents with the Dell/Sony contamination problems, but the chances of shit like this happening are small.
Also, most battery packs have integrated fail safe circuitry, so even when the charger misbehaves, the battery fuse will just burn out.
Also, there was a movie on here which demoed new lithium based battery packs which wouldn't burn out, designed for army use.
To this day my mother gets nervous around outdoor gas grills after reading stories how they were supposedly exploding all across the country when left out in the sun.
|unknown rebel |
Oh no, technology. How frightening.
| Register or login To Post a Comment|