|Rangoon - 2018-01-18 |
It puts the gross in grocery.
|That guy - 2018-01-18 |
This is basically a SCP Foundation exhibit.
You have been warned.
|cognitivedissonance - 2018-01-18 |
The best moment of the movie is when it’s revealed in the final scene that Dex Dogtective is an observant Jew.
Also, Larry Miller as Vlad Chocul the gay, Jewish, undead, elderly, disco loving vampire bat is an inspired performance. That character is so many things all at once and justifies the film.
I think the real stars here are whatever team developed the proprietary facial motion capture system that was used throughout.
|StanleyPain - 2018-01-18 |
I have seen this movie so many times it's not even funny. (thanks to the old Justin TV channel "charliesheendog" that used to run it continuously 24/7) I cannot get over how gloriously awful, awkward, and cynical it is.
It's amazingly rewatchable.
This was one of the most harrowing experiences of my life, and OZ made it happen.
|betamaxed - 2018-01-18 |
Is it ever explained why the world in this movie contains humanoid animal people and regular animal people living in the same urban area? Is this the same universe as the Dog Police?
I believe it's actually part of the Poochinski extended universe.
I think the implication is that it's a world inhabited solely by product marketing mascots. The original idea for the movie, if I remember the long saga of its development hell, was that every single character except for the main 3 or 4 figures was going to be a real mascot so that the filmmakers could make a ton of ad money, but by the time the film actually went into production (as forced by legal action), only a few companies were still allowing their mascots to be used, and you see them here and there.
|Hailey2006 - 2018-01-18 |
If you want a better version of this same concept watch Logorama and/or Sausage Party
This is better than those for so many reasons:
- The weird combination of cynical concept and earnest yet incompetent Carry-through. This somehow cost $60 million to make, yet looks worse than Reboot, *15 years earlier*.
- The voice acting is consistently awful except for Larry Miller, who completely owns the stupid and nonsensical concept of a gay, Jewish vampire bat.
- The sincerity of the racist characterizations. Sausage Party had racism, but it was casual ironic racism. This movie manages to be anti-Semitic, white supremacist and glibly reductionist.
- The character who walks into another character’s butt and then somehow gets sucked in while other characters ignore it.
- Absolutely none of the humor lands, and characters are brutally murdered in graphic ways.
- James Franco would do anything to be Charlie Sheen.
It's really important to watch this in full, clips can't do justice to just how amazing it is.
The story goes that there was a copy of the film that lived up to the "pixar-killer" expectations, but naturally the hard drive it was on was stolen. In 2002 or so. In 2012, one could easily make a better looking film using Source Moviemaker or something, so I call bullshit.
| Register or login To Post a Comment|